Thanks to the Ottawa community
NUVO WAS ABLE TO
FOR THE WORLD SIGHT DAY CHALLENGE 2017
The work isn't over yet!
Optometry Giving Sight is a global fundraising organization reaching out to the more than 200,000 optometrists around the world, and their nearly 325 million patients, to make a difference in the lives of those in need.
This year, Nuvo set a fundraising goal of $5,000. And we are happy to announce that we SURPASSED that goal! We donated $5,500 thanks to both the community and the dedication from the Nuvo staff in raising awareness and funds for this worthy cause!
1. A little more about Optometry Giving Sight.
Optometry Giving Sight was established in 2003 to address the needs of the over 600 million men, women and children around the world who are blind or vision impaired simply because they don’t have access to an eye exam and a pair of glasses. Why? Because in some countries there are not enough trained eye care personnel and there is no infrastructure to support these desperately needed eye care services.
Optometry Giving Sight supports programs that offer not only eye exams and glasses in countries with little or no access to them, but that establish the infrastructure and train the local human resources required for sustainable, quality vision care.
2. What is the WORLD SIGHT DAY CHALLENGE?
The World Sight Day Challenge (WSDC) is a major fundraising campaign coordinated by Optometry Giving Sight designed to raise funds for projects that provide training, establish vision centres and deliver eye care services for people who are blind or vision impaired due to uncorrected refractive error – simply the need for an eye exam and a pair of glasses.
Though the WSDC itself was on Thurday, October 12th this year, where we focused our fundraising efforts to reach our goal of $5,000. We were able to surpass that goal by $500!
3. Which program is the WSDC raising awareness for?
The 2017 World Sight Day Challenge is helping to raise funds in support of children’s eye health as part of Our Children’s Vision.
There are millions of children around the world whose futures depend on being able to access an eye exam and a pair of glasses. Our Children’s Vision is leading a call to action. To come together to ensure that effective, sustainable eye health initiatives for children and adolescents are part of appropriate health programs and are integrated into regional, national and global education and health policy.
4. How did Nuvo make a difference in 2017?
In 2017, Nuvo was able to contribute in various ways by:
- Donating $5 from every full pair of eye glasses sold during the month of October;
- Donating $2 from every supply of contact lenses sold in October;
- Matching any in-person donation up to $5 in October;
- Accepting donations in ANY amount for glasses adjustments;
- Accepting online donations;
- Having a month-long book sale at our Orléans location. And in fact, the book sale was such a success, that we’re keeping it active throughout the holiday season and into 2018!
5. What were Nuvo's contributions in the past?
In 2016, Nuvo was able to raise/donate OVER $3,000! We aimed to almost DOUBLE that goal this year by donating/raising $5,000, and were able to raise even MORE than that for a grand total of $5,500! Thank you so much for all the support!